Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Who does your hair?

OK! So I have been reading emails all day about Dominican stylist in the DC Metro area and I am a bit interested in the BIG difference between them and "us". I say "us" because I am a traditional LICENSED stylist who can do any texture of hair, so much so that I used to work in one of the BEST all white salons on the west coast and I never had an issue.

Now, I understand that I may be a rare gem in my field, but honestly when I look at some hair that has been "done" by the Dominicans it looks very dry and in some instances split. I understand people who don't want a lot of "grease" or oil in their hair, but we need to realize that this is something that we need, especially with chemically treated hair. Chemicals and heat strip the natural oils from our hair and can cause MAJOR damage, which is the reason that it is HIGHLY recommended that we use some sort of oil on our hair or scalp.

Aside from the "oil" issues that people have, why are so many women leaving the traditional salon to go to the Dominicans. Is it price, customer service, time or none of the above? Whatever your reason, just make sure that whatever stylist you choose to spend your "cheese" with has a license, because many times...THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE!

Give me your .02 cents...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would never let anyone cut or style my hair but Shaunita. She's the best! V

Anonymous said...

I am a FAITHFUL patron of the dominicans. I go to them for wash/set, not for color or chemicals (although I hear they are good with that). I've never been to a dominican salon that didn't have licensed stylist. Yes, they do have some that aren't licenced. However, the non-licensed onces do not do chemical or color. So, its the equivalent of the black salons using an unlicences shampoo girl.

The biggest diffence PRICE and CONVIENENCE.

I just don't understand why traditional salons charge double for something that the domicans do! I refuse to pay someone 45-50 to wash and set my hair. That is something I can honestly do myself. When I don't feel like it, I then go pay my 20-25 bucks to the Dominicans to do. That takes little effort and resources. 40-45 is highway robbery for a simple wash and set.

faithdbrown said...

I rarely get my hair styled at the salon, but when I do, I alternate between traditional salons and Dominicans. Sometimes it is a cost savings issue, and sometimes it's the fact that I have things to do that day and it takes me less time to drive from SE to Silver Spring, get my hair done, then be on with my day than to drive up the street to a traditional salon and be in there for four hours. The traditional salons I visit range from moderately priced to DuPont Circle/Connecticut Ave. priced. I like the way they do my hair, and that's what I pay for. If someone can do your hair well...consistently...for $20 then that's wonderful. Honestly, I don't even know of too many stylists who charge only $40-45, so you're still doing well with those numbers, believe it or not.